MSU Safe Place is not currently accepting applications for internships.
MSU Safe Place relies on interns and volunteers to implement many of our services. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Interns may gain experience in the following areas:
Complete intakes and advocacy tasks with residents of our domestic violence shelter. Help survivors tackle legal issues, seek employment and housing, continue their education, and work with other local service providers to obtain resources. Provide emotional support one-on-one or by accompanying survivors at court or at other appointments.
Assist with children’s programming, including intake activities, child care and other activities. Some experience with children is strongly recommended.
Reach out to the campus and local community to bring awareness about relationship violence and stalking and the resources available to survivors. Plan events to involve community in the movement against relationship violence and stalking.
General Shelter Operations
All staff, interns and volunteers assist with various day-to-day tasks, including providing transportation for residents, assisting with miscellaneous office work, sorting donations, helping with special events and holidays, and other various assignments around the shelter.
- Internships are available during Spring, Summer and Fall semesters.
- Training is required for all interns and is held over the course of 1 weekend (Thursday-Sunday). These training hours can be submitted toward total internship hours.
- All internships are unpaid. Course credit is available, but not required.
- Interns are expected to work an average of 16-40 hours per week for at least one semester, depending on school requirements and/or intern availability.
- Interns are expected to work the majority of scheduled hours Monday through Friday between 9:00am-6:00pm. Within these expectations, internship scheduling may be flexible.
- Prospective interns should complete an application and submit all required materials (including a resume) to MSU Safe Place. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed as they are received.
If you have questions or need more information, contact Alyssa Baumann, Volunteer/Advocacy Coordinator, at email@example.com or (517) 432-9570.
Click here for an internship application.