MSU Policy/Reporting

Michigan State University has a Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct Policy.  The complete policy can be found here.

Where can I talk to someone confidentially?

MSU Safe Place (relationship violence/stalking)
(517) 355-1100

MSU Center for Survivors
207 Student Services Building
(517) 355-3551 (office)
(517) 372-6666 (24 hour crisis line)

MSU Counseling and Psychiatric Services (CAPS)
3rd Floor Olin Health Center Building
(507) 355-8270

MSU Employee Assistance Program
110 Linton Hall
(517) 355-4506

University Ombudsperson
North Kedzie Hall, Room 129
(517) 353-8830

What support is available for those affected by relationship violence, sexual assault or stalking?

Check out this interactive “Know More” RVSM Resource Poster and click the links for resource information.

Where can I file a report?

If you have experienced sexual assault, relationship violence, or stalking, or would like to make a report to help a friend or colleague, you can contact:

Office of Institutional Equity:
4 Olds Hall
(517) 353-3922

MSU Police Department
1120 Red Cedar Road
East Lansing, MI 48824
(517) 355-2221
Emergencies: 911

Note: Reports to the police should be made in the jurisdiction where the crime occurred. 

Local Police Departments:
East Lansing Police: 517-351-4220
Bath Township Police: 517-641-6271
Lansing Police: 517-483-4600
Lansing Township Police: 517-485-1700
Meridian Township Police: 517-332-6526

Where can I find resources related to filing a report?

If you have experienced an incident of relationship violence or sexual misconduct, you are encouraged to get help regardless of when the incident occurred.  Click for resources from the Office for Civil Rights and Title IX.

What is the definition of consent?

Consent means voluntary, willful, and unambiguous agreement to engage in a specific sexual activity during a sexual encounter.  Consent cannot be given by someone who is:

  • Sleeping
  • Unconscious, unaware, or otherwise mentally or physically helpless because of drugs, alcohol, or other contributing factor (“incapacitated”)
  • Unable to understand the nature of the sexual activity due to a mental disease or condition (“mentally incapable”)
  • Under duress, threat, deception, coercion, or force

Consent must be clear and communicated by mutually understandable words or actions.  The following are examples of situations that do not imply consent:

  • Silence
  • The absence of a verbal “no” or “stop”
  • The absence of resistance
  • The existence of a prior or current relationship or sexual activity

What can I do to help a friend?

  • Believe them!  Listen and offer comfort.
  • Let the person know that you care.
  • Reassure your friend that they are not to blame for being sexually or physically assaulted or stalked.
  • Encourage your friend to reach out for support.